About Me

My photo
I have two kids - a girl and a boy - and live in north-central Minnesota, land of snow and ice. Well, for 9 months of the year, that is. I work full-time for a local government, and on my "free time" I enjoy cooking, baking, hanging out with my kiddos, and RELAXING.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Wedding Invitations 101

So who knew it was so difficult to figure out wedding invites? It's not just what they cost or what they say, it's how they look and the secret/hidden/subliminal messages they convey (think: theme, dress, etc.) Who knew it was such an art?

After reading up on all the protocols and laws I could find, I decided to toss most of them out the window and do what I wanted. My situtation is slightly more difficult in that I have to find a way to convey I am Mrs. Blair Zaffke's daughter, but not Mr.'s. So, here's what I came up with (draft number one):

Mr. and Mrs. Blair Zaffke
request the honor of your presence
at the marriage of Mrs. Zaffke's daughter
Alaina Lynn Fisher
to
Darren Scott Bundy
son of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Bundy
January twenty-fourth
two thousand nine
at three o'clock
Lakeside Baptist Church
Backus, MN

Sounds easy, right? Um, not so much. Took a while for me to get that far, and it involved the dictionary to determine the real way to spell honor. Still haven't decided for sure, but no one I know spells it h-o-n-o-u-r so I gave up on that pretty quick. And, did you know that if your wedding is in a church you should say 'request the honor of your presence' and not 'the pleasure of your company'? Nope. Lesson learned there.

After the first draft I decided I didn't want to have it sound so stuffy and formal and we wanted to go with "Blair and Garnet" and "Patrick and Shelly" instead of "Mr. and Mrs." But how do I phrase that without it sounded SUPER unformal?

Blair and Garnet Zaffke
request the honor of your presence
at the marriage of Garnet's daughter
Alaina Lynn Fisher

?????

Comments? I think it's a little too 'unformal'. My mom mentioned something about having my dad's name in there, but I don't think I'm supposed to, according to the "rules". I better do more research. Hopefully there's some way out there that will work. Ugh...

1 comment:

  1. I kind of like the first name thing. I kind of agree that you should mention your dad's name...but that would complicate things. Good luck! January is coming faster and faster, its already the end of Sept!

    ReplyDelete