About Me

My photo
I have two kids - a girl and a boy - and live in north-central Minnesota, land of snow and ice. Well, for 9 months of the year, that is. I work full-time for a local government, and on my "free time" I enjoy cooking, baking, hanging out with my kiddos, and RELAXING.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Aldi

One of my co-workers swears by Aldi.

Swears by it.

We had a conversation about it yesterday at work, and after listening to her repeatedly tell me how much money she saves, I realized I must be missing out on something.

In case you don't know what Aldi is, it's a grocery store that sells generic products at a super-low cost.

You also have to deposit a quarter to use the grocery carts. But you get it back.

And you have to bag your own food. With your own bags. Otherwise you have to purchase bags.

These are things that are good to know before you go for the first time...


So anyway, tonight I went to Aldi. Almost everything I purchased was cheaper than buying it at Cub or Target. I had a cart full of food and my total was $44.48. Sometimes I don't pay the best attention to prices, but it seems like almost everything was a pretty good deal. Here's what I got:

-Carrots, $0.60 per lb
-Apples, $0.90 per lb
-Cantaloupe, $1.49 (this is Cub's rock-bottom price for cantaloupe)
-Strawberries, $1.99 per pint
-Milk, $2.19 per gallon (comparable with Target's regular price)
-Red onions, $0.75 per lb
-String cheese, $2.49 per 12oz (I haven't figured out how this compares yet)
-Chunk cheese, 8 oz, $1.49 (I rarely see cheese cheaper than this at its lowest)
-Granola Raisin Bran, $1.99
-Pineapple, $2.49 (this seemed about average for sale prices at Cub)
-Fiber Bars, 5 pack, $1.89 (I pay more than this for Cub brand fiber bars)
-Baked beans, 28 oz, $1.29
-Sour cream, 16 oz, $0.99
-Fruit snacks, 10 9-oz packs, $1.79
-Thousand Island dressing, 16 oz, $1.19
-Almonds, 12 oz, $3.79
-Yogurt, 6 oz, $0.35 (this is about half of regularly priced brand-name yogurt)
-Pickles, 16 oz, $1.19
-Vanilla sandwich cookies, 18 oz, $1.49
-Bananas, $0.35 per lb
-Tortilla chips, 13 oz, $1.19
-White bread, $0.79
-Kettle chips, 9 oz, $1.99

How do these deals look to you?

2 comments:

  1. I told you Aldi's was amazing! I always shop there--you can buy 5 pounds of hamburger for under ten bucks. Plus, there's a convenient location less than half a mile from your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Aldi is awesome. We had one in my hometown, and shopping there was the only way we poor newlyweds could eat. That one closed, but when I visit my sister or get to the cities I go there & stock up on crm of ck soup and a few other things. Are you craving pickles? :)

    ReplyDelete