About Me

My photo
I have two kids - a girl and a boy - and live in north-central Minnesota, land of snow and ice. Well, for 9 months of the year, that is. I work full-time for a local government, and on my "free time" I enjoy cooking, baking, hanging out with my kiddos, and RELAXING.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A "Very Hungry" Birthday Party


So this was a post I meant to write about five months ago...

Sometimes life just gets in the way of things that I mean to do. But better late than never, right?

I always said I was not going to be the mom who went all crazy for kid's birthday parties. Haha, boy did that ever NOT work out for me.

It all started with cake class. Last spring I took Wilton cake decorating classes through JoAnn Fabrics. They were a lot of fun and I learned a little something. At least enough to do a little icing and flower making and fondant covering and sculpting. I decided I was going to make a fun cake for Natalie's birthday party.

Well, between being back and forth from the cities I decided a really fancy cake just wasn't going to work out for this year. Also, I had seen some cute ideas on Pinterest for a "Very Hungry Caterpillar" themed party.

And I went with it.


Cupcakes were way easier than making a cake, although the caterpillar's head was a small fondant-covered cake. He also had little fondant feet and fondant leaves. I found someone on Etsy to make Natalie's invitations.


We had lots of yummy food, and one thing I saw was to do the fruits that the caterpillar eats during the days of the week. Simple and easy. And delicious, especially with a cream cheese fruit dip.


Once upon a time the Eric Carle store sold Very Hungry Caterpillar plates, cups, napkins, and other party decorations. No more. I went to a local party store and found basic things with coordinating colors, and it worked out just fine.


Best part of the day? Natalie's face when she realized she got a cupcake. She loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment