About Me

My photo
I have two kids - a girl and a boy - and live in north-central Minnesota, land of snow and ice. Well, for 9 months of the year, that is. I work full-time for a local government, and on my "free time" I enjoy cooking, baking, hanging out with my kiddos, and RELAXING.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

apple crisp

I was in the mood for apple crisp this weekend. Apple crisp reminds me of fall, and I usually make it at least once during that time, but since I missed last fall I figured it was acceptable to make it in March. Right? Start with 5-7 tart apples. I used 7 because I like apples in my apple crisp. I'm weird like that.


I have the Pampered Chef apple peeler/corer/slicer, which is absolutely amazing for making any apple dish. Works like a charm. I've never mastered the art of peeling apples (or peeling potatoes for that matter) and I don't plan to start now.


This is what the apple looks like after I crank it through the peeler/corer/slicer.

Just pull it off and the core is left behind. You can see the nice slices. It's like a continuous ring of apple slice, so I use a knife and quarter it (top to bottom) so the pieces are the right size. I also don't worry about the little bit of skin left on. Life's too short to be worrying about things like that.
Here's what it looks like after I quarter it.
Darren took this picture of me while I was doing the apples.
Put the apple slices in a bowl and add 3/4 cup sugar...
...a dash of salt...
...one teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. I was generous on both because I like it pretty flavorful.
Mix it up until the apples are nicely coated. Eat a few. Consider eating them all. Talk yourself out of it by reminding yourself how good it will taste baked.
Spread the apples in a 9x13 pan.
For the topping, mix 1 cup flour...
...1 cup lightly packed brown sugar...
...1/2 cup oatmeal...
...and one stick butter. Yes, I realize my bowl is dirty; it's the same one I mixed the apples in. Who wants more dirty dishes than necessary?
I love the Pampered Chef pastry...pastry...thing...to cut in butter. I can't remember what it's called; someone help me...
Sprinkle the topping over the apples and bake for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
Remove from oven when the top is nicely browned. Top with ice cream or cool whip. Think of fall and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment