About Me

My photo
I have two kids - a girl and a boy - and live in north-central Minnesota, land of snow and ice. Well, for 9 months of the year, that is. I work full-time for a local government, and on my "free time" I enjoy cooking, baking, hanging out with my kiddos, and RELAXING.

Friday, April 1, 2011

Verna's chocolate zucchini bread

There are no times like the hard times that bring out the true character of people. When my dad died my family was surrounded by loving support from our church. People came to spend time with us, to share in our heartache, and to bring food. They brought a lot of food. Of all the food that appeared at our house, there are two things I remember in particular. One was a delicious beef stew, and the other was this chocolate zucchini bread, brought by a woman named Verna. I'm not sure if this recipe originated with Verna or with someone else, but I will always think of this bread as Verna's Chocolate Zucchini Bread.

Some time later, I asked Verna for the recipe. Lo and behold, it was in the church cookbook. I don't have the church cookbook (it was my mom's), but I have the recipe written out. Here's how to make this delicious bread: You will need: 3 eggs 1 cup vegetable oil (can substitute applesauce) 2 cups sugar 1 tbsp vanilla 2 cups shredded, peeled zucchini (I freeze zucchini this way so I have it just for this bread) 2 1/2 cups flour 1/2 cup baking cocoa 1 tsp salt 1 tsp baking soda 1 tsp cinnamon 1/4 tsp baking powder 1 bag chocolate chips Beat eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla. Stir in zucchini. Combine dry ingredients and add to zucchini mixture. Mix well. Pour into 2 greased 8x4x2 loaf pans (this is a regular size loaf pan). Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until bread tests done. Store in fridge. Note: If you substitute applesauce for oil (which I have - it cuts A LOT of calories), turn down the oven temp to 300 degrees, and bake for approximately 1 hour 15 minutes. This bread will be more moist than bread made with oil. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment