About Me

My photo
I have two kids - a girl and a boy - and live in north-central Minnesota, land of snow and ice. Well, for 9 months of the year, that is. I work full-time for a local government, and on my "free time" I enjoy cooking, baking, hanging out with my kiddos, and RELAXING.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Shelly's Shrimp Corn Chowder

My mother-in-law makes the best shrimp corn chowder ever.

Ever.

Darren and I made it last weekend and it was mmmmmm, tasty.

Unfortunately, after I ate a huge bowl I felt like my throat was kind of scratchy. Even worse, the same thing happened the last time I had shrimp.

And the time before that.

I've come to the realization I am allergic to shrimp.

Sad day. And I don't even really like shrimp.

However, it didn't stop me from eating a bit of the leftovers a couple days later. I think that just goes to show how good good this soup is.



I buy frozen shrimp, so we had to thaw it. (You'll need two cups, chopped.) It's also pre-cooked, which is nice.



Chop up 1/4 cup onion...



...and 1/4 cup mushrooms.


Add 1-2 cloves chopped garlic and saute in a little olive oil.


You'll want to start chopping the shrimp before you saute the onions and mushrooms. It takes a while to chop two cups.



When the onions are almost done (when they're almost clear) add the shrimp. Saute 3-5 more minutes. Then, add 2 cans cream of mushroom soup, 1 can creamed corn, 1/2 can chicken broth, and some milk until you reach the desired consistency. Also add 1-2 tsp basil and 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and also a little salt and pepper.



Stir it up real nice. Mmm, I'm craving it just writing this post...

Simmer for 15-20 minutes, and add 2-3 tbsp sour cream towards the end. (Serves 4)

I think garlic biscuits are a perfect compliment to shrimp corn chowder, so we made some of those, too. These are similar to Red Lobster biscuits, only not quite as tasty. And I can't figure out why...
Anyway, here's how to make them:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.


Mix 2 cups Bisquick, 2/3 cup milk, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, and a considerable amount of garlic powder. I sort of just dump it in there; it's probably about a tablespoon. And I still don't think they're garlic-y enough...

Anyway, mix those ingredients until a soft dough forms and then beat vigorously for 30 seconds. Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes.




Melt 1/8 cup butter and add 1 tsp garlic powder. Brush over warm biscuits before removing from sheet (yield 6-8). Eat warm. And drool over their tastiness.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment