About Me

My photo
I have two kids - a girl and a boy - and live in north-central Minnesota, land of snow and ice. Well, for 9 months of the year, that is. I work full-time for a local government, and on my "free time" I enjoy cooking, baking, hanging out with my kiddos, and RELAXING.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

it tastes like spring

It's so nice out today! I just love it. I drove with my window half-down the way home for lunch and back up to work. I got my shoes covered in mud behind the shop trying to throw cardboard in the dumpster but it was SO worth it to just hear the mud squish. Then later I had to walk over to the sales office to drop off some mail and I didn't wear my coat. It was amazing. I love it outside, spring is my favorite!!! Brids chirping, flowers blooming...ahhh...it's the best. I changed my blog background in honor of the nicer weather. Think spring! :)

In other news, I've impressed myself in the kitchen lately. Today I made a chicken wrap with a tortilla shell, some cooked chicken, spinach, onions, cheese, and homemade honey-mustard sauce. It was good. If not better than the one I always get at Subway, at least right on par. Then last night I wanted to make spaghetti because I had this tomato sauce just sitting in the fridge going bad, so I figured I'd just kind of toss it together. Betty Crocker told me it had to simmer for 45 minutes but heck, no, that wasn't going to happen. So I just browned up some venison, added onions, garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, S&P, some garlic salt, and a little onion salt. It was mighty tasty. Also, I made a rhubarb pie the other night. Completely from scratch. Crust and everything, which I've never done. BC had a recipe for the double crust which turned out really well, and the insides were easy peasy. Rhubarb, sugar, and flour. I was a little short on the rhubarb so it might be sweeter than normal since the sugar/rhubarb ratio is off, but it's really good. I was surprised at how good it was, actually. It looks a little shady because I didn't do a great job crimping the pie crust, but it tastes yummy.

Tonight I need to work out when I get home because I didn't do it this morning. I woke up at 6 ready to go but I had a sore throat so I went back to bed. Darren and I cleaned all upstairs and about 1/3 of the downstairs yesterday so we're going to finish up quick tonight. Tomorrow we're going to the cities to meet with people at the U about Darren's transfer and hopefully look at an apartment I really like. It looks good online so I want to see it in person. I think we might see if some of our friends want to go out to dinner, since we won't be done at the U until around 3 and it's pretty much pointless to try and head north anytime after that. May as well wait until around 6 when the traffic isn't as bad. Wish us luck! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment