About Me

My photo
I have two kids - a girl and a boy - and live in north-central Minnesota, land of snow and ice. Well, for 9 months of the year, that is. I work full-time for a local government, and on my "free time" I enjoy cooking, baking, hanging out with my kiddos, and RELAXING.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

the end of retail as we know it?

On February 1st the department store J.C. Penney will undergo a major change:

No more sales.

Well, I find it hard to believe there will never be sales again, but Penney's has said it is greatly reducing the number of sales and moving towards a new pricing strategy, cutting prices up to 40% with the intent to keep them that way year-round.

Could be good, could be bad. Sometimes you can get items for greater than 40% off their (marked-up) original price, while other times, you can't.

I'm interested to see how this will play out. I shop at Penney's fairly frequently, especially for business clothing, as they carry one of my favorite business brands. If this plan works, it could change retail as we know it.

2 comments:

  1. I am wondering if that is an attempt on Penney's to keep up to the big box chains (Walmart and Target) I live in a relatively small town but we have 2 Walmarts and a Target. Our Sears here packed up and left town because of struggles to keep up to Walmart and now Target. JC Penneys stayed. We have had a Penney's since back in the 20, 30, 40 era and am hoping that they stay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I don't like this idea. I shop for most of my clothes at Penney's too, but I typically don't buy anything that's not at LEAST 50% off because their prices are so ridiculously marked up! I feel like 50% off is a fair base price and then I look for sales above and beyond that! So only 40% percent off and no sales on top of it? Doesn't sound good to me... :-/ Especially when it comes to kids clothes! They grow out of stuff way too fast to be spending money on clothes that aren't super on sale!

    ReplyDelete