About Me

My photo
I have two kids - a girl and a boy - and live in north-central Minnesota, land of snow and ice. Well, for 9 months of the year, that is. I work full-time for a local government, and on my "free time" I enjoy cooking, baking, hanging out with my kiddos, and RELAXING.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

New Recipe: Chicken-rice burritos

The other night I tried a new recipe: chicken-rice burritos. They were easy and pretty tasty.

Start with your rice. I did a half-cup uncooked brown rice. I'm not exactly sure what that equated to in terms of cooked rice.




Cut up some chicken. The recipe calls for rotisserie chicken. We pretty much never have that around here, so I just used chicken breast.





I rubbed in some seasoning and cooked it on the stove top.





Nice and brown, just the way I like it.






You need one cup of salsa. I used our homemade salsa.


And about a half cup of shredded cheddar cheese.

I tend to take liberties with recipes. Pretty much the only thing I measured was the salsa, and the only thing I actually used exactly as the recipe called for was the garlic powder. So I'm sorry if my descriptions of how to make this are less...detailed than an actual recipe. We're just flying by the seat of our pants here, people.

You'll need some garlic powder.












And now the assembly: bring your salsa to boil in a saucepan. Since our homemade salsa is pretty runny, I didn't add much water. If you use store-bought salsa, you might want to add a little bit more.

What the recipe actually says to do here is boil your salsa and 1/2 cup water, then add 1/2 cup uncooked instant white rice. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand five minutes. You can take that approach; it would definitely be quicker than pre-cooking brown rice.






Okay, either way you go about it, add your rice, chicken, and cheese. Throw some garlic powder in, about 1/4 tsp per the recipe. That seemed like such a wimpy amount to me. I probably put in 1 tsp. Go big or go home.




You'll need four tortillas. Eight- or ten-inch will work. I, of course, didn't have exactly what the recipe called for.

Note that my mixture is pretty runny. Next time, I wouldn't add any water to our homemade salsa.





Put about 1/2 cup of the chicken-rice mixture into each tortilla and roll it up burrito-style, leaving one end open. I didn't get why that was necessary, but they fit best in my pan that way so I went with it.

Oh, and DO NOT grease your pan. You want those tortillas to get nice and crunchy, not soggy.









This recipe makes four tortillas, and they fit perfectly in a 9x9 pan.




Cover with foil and bake 20-30 minutes at 375 degrees, until heated through.




YUMMY.

No comments:

Post a Comment