I cleaned the house last weekend. I procrastinated as long as I could, but it was getting pretty bad.
But that's not what's so disgusting.
I was taking out the trash on Saturday when it happened. Something so disturbing I just about tossed my cookies.
Maggots. Not in my house, thank God. In the trash can outside.
I went out to throw my bag of garbage and a couple cereal boxes in the can. I saw a lot of bees buzzing around it, which was sign number one I should have left the garbage for Darren. I got closer and decided to try to throw everything in, anyway. The trick was to not anger the bees.
I slowly lifted the lid so I wouldn't startle them when I saw it: the maggots. Many, many, many maggots. Bubbling under the lid and down the sides of the trash can.
You would have almost thrown up, too.
Those maggots were squirming around as maggots do, and the bees were buzzing furiously. I was so shocked I dropped the lid and ran back to the driveway. I should have given up right then and there, but there were raw chicken bits in the garbage bag and I didn't want to leave it another whole day for Darren to throw out. It was already smelling bad enough.
So I sucked it up and confronted the maggots. The bees were nothing compared to the maggots, although they did hinder my speedy process, since I had to throw things away one at a time.
In the end, I got it done. I came inside and scrubbed my hands raw. Twice.
But now every time I have to take out the trash I will remember the maggots. It's an image I can't get out of my head...