About Me

My photo
I have two kids - a girl and a boy - and live in north-central Minnesota, land of snow and ice. Well, for 9 months of the year, that is. I work full-time for a local government, and on my "free time" I enjoy cooking, baking, hanging out with my kiddos, and RELAXING.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

I should have known better

Last night Darren and I went to Red Lobster on date night.

I got the maple-glazed chicken, which is what I've ordered every time I've ever been to Red Lobster, except the very first time when I for some strange reason ordered soup.

But since then, maple-glazed chicken all the way.

Darren got the maple-glazed salmon and shrimp. We must have been in a maple mood...

Everything was going along just swimmingly until Darren says, "You want to try my shrimp?" I, stupidly, said yes. And remember, I already knew I was allergic to shrimp.

I had one bite. One bite. Not even a whole shrimp, just a single, solitary bite. Within five minutes my throat was swelling and scratchy. You know how sometimes the inside of your throat itches? Yeah, I hate that feeling.

Well, no big deal, I thought. This has happened before and it just goes away. Give it 2o minutes. (I like to play fast and loose with my health like that, apparently...)

So we left the restaurant and went to the mall to do some shopping. Ten minutes after we got to the mall I started feeling sick.

I don't know if it was the shrimp, or what, but something not good was definitely going on. I told Darren we needed to leave. I thought I was going to DIE on the way home. My stomach was cramping so bad, but in a really weird area, and I thought I was going to throw up. Then my legs started getting all loosey-goosey like when you have a drink and you can actually feel your body relaxing. It was like that only times ten. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get out of the car.

So we make it home and I'm trying not to throw up, and I go upstairs and put on my sweatpants and stretch out on the couch with my puke bucket. Darren kept making me drink water, saying "dilution for the pollution" or something like that, and the whole time I thought I was going to eternity at any second.

Fortunately, by the time that special about Prince William and Kate Middleton ended, I was feeling better. Unfortunately, I think I'll never eat shrimp again.

And even the maple-glazed chicken is questionable.

No comments:

Post a Comment