About Me

My photo
I have two kids - a girl and a boy - and live in north-central Minnesota, land of snow and ice. Well, for 9 months of the year, that is. I work full-time for a local government, and on my "free time" I enjoy cooking, baking, hanging out with my kiddos, and RELAXING.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

comfort in sorrow

Sometimes it amazes me how quickly life can change.

We wake up. We eat. We work. We do whatever needs to be done. And then suddenly nothing is the same. Life has changed irreversibly.

I've been there. And my heart goes out to those who are there at this very moment.


RBC Ministries publishes a small daily devotional called "Our Daily Bread." My hometown church has distributed this devotional monthly for as long as I can remember. My dad read his Bible and this devotional every morning, until his death on October 23, 2003.

This is the devotion for October 23, 2003:


Life Beyond the Grave
READ: John 11:1-44

Whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?--John 1:26


My beloved husband Bill died of cancer at the age of 48. One tearful morning I read John 11, the story about Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead. I was reassured by two truths I found in Jesus' words to His disciples on their way to Lazarus' grave.

The first truth was revealed when Jesus said that Lazarus was asleep and that He would wake him. His disciples responded, "Lord, if he sleeps he will get well." Jesus replied, "Lazarus is dead." Saying that He would waken Lazarus, I believe, was His gentle way to teach them that they didn't need to dread death any more than sleep. Because of His power, resurrecting someone from the grave was like waking someone from sleep.

I saw a second truth in Jesus' statement to Martha: "He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die." Of course, believers aren't exempt from dying physically, but Jesus promised that they will live eternally. As the resurrection and the life, He will "waken" their bodies someday. His power to do this was demonstrated when He raised Lazarus.

When someone we love goes to be with Jesus, these promises give us comfort and assurance. - Joanie Yoder

Grief will not last, joy will return,
For through our tears we clearly see
That while we part for but a time,
With Christ we'll spend eternity. -D. De Haan
Death separates us for a time; Chris will reunite us forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment