About Me

My photo
I have two kids - a girl and a boy - and live in north-central Minnesota, land of snow and ice. Well, for 9 months of the year, that is. I work full-time for a local government, and on my "free time" I enjoy cooking, baking, hanging out with my kiddos, and RELAXING.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

my favorite books

I became inspired by the post I did the other day about a book I read and enjoyed. I love to read. It's probably my favorite thing to do. For real.

As I did that post I thought about all the other books I've enjoyed over the years, and some of them I wanted to share with you. Sometimes I hesitate to recommend books to people because I'm not sure of their taste in literature. For me, reading is fun. It is not supposed to be boring or educational or a chore. I read to be entertained, not to learn. Consequently, I read no nonfiction, relatively few self-help books, and almost exclusively chicklit.

Seriously. And you'd be surprised at the masses of chicklit. It's easy to find what you're looking for. With that said, most of the books I recommend will be in said genre, so if you prefer something else, take my words with a grain of salt.

As far as chicklit goes, this book is the cream of the crop.







From the back cover:

spin-ster: noun

1: an unmarried woman or a woman for whom marriage seems dubious
2: a woman who spins or weaves for a living

Her mother, sister, and friends fear spinsterhood may be the fate of thirty-year-old Whitney Blake. And while she doesn't believe she'll actually end up weaving her own tableclothes, Whitney does wonder whether Mr. Right will ever arrive, despite her mom's adoption of matchmaking as the prime project of her "postmenopausal zest."

Maybe Whitney needs to be more proactive. And so she starts a journal, stating her goals: "This month--Lose two pounds (sensibly), stand up straight with my stomach sucked in so I actually appear tall and thin, don't let my mother drive my crazy (a particularly difficult project). GET ORGANIZED. Start by cleaning closets. Have friends over for dinner. Pray more, obsess less."

It must be working--suddenly there's more than one man in Whitney's life. But are any of them marriage material, or is "fabulous, single, Christian man" an oxymoron?


I love this book. I hope you do, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment