About Me

My photo
I have two kids - a girl and a boy - and live in north-central Minnesota, land of snow and ice. Well, for 9 months of the year, that is. I work full-time for a local government, and on my "free time" I enjoy cooking, baking, hanging out with my kiddos, and RELAXING.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

a new use

I discovered a new use for my Kindle today.

Okay, not really a new use. More like a new way to use it.

I use it at the gym.

It's so incredibly amazing you wouldn't believe it unless you experienced it yourself.

Let me tell you how it happened...


This week at OSA is Annual Staff Training, which is secret code for "sit-on-your-butt-all-day-long-and-listen-to-someone-talk-about-things-you-don't-understand." At least in my case. I am, however, meeting a lot of my coworkers and learning a little bit. Also, eating a lot.

Today as I was sitting there learning about A-133 (don't ask...I don't know the answer) and eating my M&Ms and popcorn I thought about how much I needed to go to the gym tonight.

So I gained a couple pounds in Florida, btw. Don't ask how I went the whole month of Christmas without gaining a single pound but gained two in one week in Florida.

I don't know the answer to that, either.

I knew the gym was going to be boring. It always is now that I don't exercise with my friend Krista anymore. There's no one to talk to while I'm on the elliptical, although I suppose tonight I could have chatted with the two large African-American men on the ellipticals next to me. Although, come to think of it, they were pretty busy figuring out what they needed to pick up at Cub.

"How on earth am I going to get through an hour on the elliptical tonight?" I moaned to myself during a (not) heated discussion on compliance testing for major programs.

All of a sudden I was struck by a stroke of brilliance.

Struck by a stroke, I say.

"I can bring my Kindle to the gym!"

I must admit, I am partially inspired by the girl on the elliptical next to me last night. She had a book with a clothespin-type clip on one side and a weird band on the other. It seemed to work for her, but why should I use such a contraption when I already have the perfect solution?

It worked like a charm. For the most part. Granted, it was a little difficult to read the small words when I was bouncing up and down. I was a little afraid I would make myself sick. Also, my machine gave three annoying beeps every time I took my hand off the heart rate sensor to push the "next page" button, which was about every 45 seconds. It got old.

Note to self: use a different machine next time.

All in all, a good experience. So happy with my Kindle. That hour flew by and I almost didn't want to go home.

I said almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment