About Me

My photo
I have two kids - a girl and a boy - and live in north-central Minnesota, land of snow and ice. Well, for 9 months of the year, that is. I work full-time for a local government, and on my "free time" I enjoy cooking, baking, hanging out with my kiddos, and RELAXING.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Welcome Home

Two years ago today Darren came home from Iraq. That was a great day.

I went back and found some pictures to share with you. They aren't the best quality since I took them off facebook, but they're still fun to see.

It was a Monday. I went to my morning classes and skipped chapel so I could go back to my dorm room and shower and get ready. My friend Courtney picked me up and we drove to an elementary school where the Welcome Home Ceremony was scheduled. All I remember is it seemed to take forever to get there. And it was cold and there was road construction.

We got there at the same time as Darren's parents, who I hardly knew at the time. It was awkward. But hey, I'm used to awkwardness. It happens.

We found a seat in the front row and waited. And waited. And waited. It was intense, let me tell you. Darren kept texting me to tell me where they were at and how long of a drive they had left. They had been in Wisconsin for a couple days doing de-mobilization or some such thing, so they were driving in on buses.


Courtney holding Ava (Krista's girl), me, and Krista. Waiting for our men to come home. :)

And yes, I am that tall compared to those two. I always feel like a beast in their presence.


We had made these signs two days before. And cookies. I'm not sure why we made cookies but they were delicious. I think I ate most of my share before Darren even got home.

When the guys finally walked into the gym the crowd exploded. I'm talking LOUD. For several minutes. It was amazing. The guys came and lined up on the bleachers right in front of us. Chris ended up right in front of Courtney, so that was kind of funny. Some man talked for forever and then the men were released.




We finally get to see each other after months.


Darren and me, Courtney and Chris after the ceremony.

I'm so proud of Darren for the sacrifices he made. Thank God for our veterans!

No comments:

Post a Comment