About Me

My photo
I have two kids - a girl and a boy - and live in north-central Minnesota, land of snow and ice. Well, for 9 months of the year, that is. I work full-time for a local government, and on my "free time" I enjoy cooking, baking, hanging out with my kiddos, and RELAXING.

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Why I Love...

Rice pudding.

I made rice pudding last night.

I love rice pudding. It's so delicious.

Let me tell you how to make it so you can enjoy its wonderful tastiness yourself.



alternative text



First, you need rice. Shocker, I know. And a double-boiler. Here's mine.

Wash 1 cup of rice and put it in the top of a double-boiler with two cups boiling water. I got the bottom of my double-boiler going while I was waiting for my teapot to boil so I could put boiling water in the top, too. Although I could have just heated up all the water in the teapot and then poured what was left in the bottom of my boiler. Didn't think that one through very well...

Put 1/2 teaspoon salt in with the rice and water. Cook until the water is absorbed, making sure you don't boil the bottom dry.

When the water is absorbed add 2 cups milk and 1 cup sugar to the rice. Stir it up and let it cook. When it looks like the milk is getting low, add a bit more and keep cooking. Overall you'll add about 1 additional cup of milk (so 3 total) and cook the rice until the milk is mostly absorbed, or until you reach the desired consistency. I like mine a little runny.

Just to give you a head's up, this is a long process. Like a couple hours long. But so definitely worth it.

It's not quite done in this picture.

alternative text

You can add raisins for about the last 10 minutes if you'd like. I don't like raisins in mine, so I didn't add them.

When it's done scoop some into a bowl. Add half-and-half and cinnamon to desired taste. I added about 4 times the amount of cinnamon you see here.

I like cinnamon.

alternative text


Almost as much as I like rice pudding. So delicious.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment