About Me

My photo
I have two kids - a girl and a boy - and live in north-central Minnesota, land of snow and ice. Well, for 9 months of the year, that is. I work full-time for a local government, and on my "free time" I enjoy cooking, baking, hanging out with my kiddos, and RELAXING.

Friday, February 12, 2010

2010 Winter Olympics

The Winter Olympics start today.

The last time I watched the Winter Olympics was on my dorm room floor freshman year. I don't really remember anything about them...

I really only like to watch a couple events of the winter olympics. I prefer the Summer Olympics, so I was pretty bummed they were in China last time and were on at 3 a.m. I had to settle for the highlights.

I like to watch the ice skating. It reminds me of Sunday afternoons and Hallmark movie channel. I'm not sure why the Hallmark movie channel, but Mom, Lex, and I used to watch ice skating on CBS Sunday afternoons in the winter.

I like the bobsled. I rode in a bobsled once. True story.


Summer 2006, Park City, Utah. Park City was where all the skiing, bobsled, snowboarding, etc. occurred during the Salt Lake City Olympics. They have a big Olympic park up there now and you can see it, go to a little museum, and go on some rides. Well, it was summer, so obviously there wasn't any snow. However, they still used the tracks as practice. They would put wheels on the bobsleds and practice all summer long. And, best part of all, you could go for a ride.

From the website: "Feel the rush as you speed down the Olympic track in a 4-person bobsled. A trained pilot will take you and two other passengers through 15 curves, reaching speeds up to 80 mph, and pulling close to 5 G's of force. The "Comet" bobsled ride is not for the faint of heart. Billed as the most intense minute of your life, this ride will give you a very good idea of what Olympic bobsled athletes experience day in and day out."

They aren't lying. It is the most intense minute of your life. And I definitely would not recommend it if you have health issues. I thought I was going to die. For real. You put on this massive helmet and squeeze into this bobsled. Squeeze. Then you're off. They tell you to keep your back, neck, shoulders all tense to help resist the G's. Well, I wasn't prepared. Not kidding, for the first 30 seconds I couldn't get my head off my chest; that's how intense it was. My lungs felt like they were getting crushed and I probably didn't draw a breath for the first 1/3 of the ride. You go careening around these corners and you pray to God the thing isn't going to tip, because you swear the ground is getting closer.

Then, it ends. And you can breathe. And your head isn't stuck to your chest. And you have an instant headache.

Good times.


Anyway, I also like the ski-jumping. My sister and I used to play the Nagano Winter Olympics game on Super Nintendo. We only did the ski-jumping. She always won.

I like the snowboard flips. Don't you love how I don't know the name of the actual events?? I like speed skating, too.

I do not like curling. Too boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment