About Me

My photo
I have two kids - a girl and a boy - and live in north-central Minnesota, land of snow and ice. Well, for 9 months of the year, that is. I work full-time for a local government, and on my "free time" I enjoy cooking, baking, hanging out with my kiddos, and RELAXING.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

taxes

I did our taxes last night.

It was probably the fastest I've ever done taxes. Maybe I did learn something in tax class after all.

I was way excited about the "Making Work Pay" credit, as that saved us quite a bit of tax dollars.

Also, this year you can deduct some of your charitable contributions for state taxes even if you didn't itemize federal. You can deduct 50% of the amount over $500, but it's still subject to the federal charitable contributions limitations. That saved us $42 in taxes. Forty-two bucks isn't a lot, but I'll take it.

Darren didn't realize he could subtract his Army pay for state taxable income, so we did that this year and that saved us about $400 in taxes.

All in all, we're getting a little over $1,500 back, which we're putting in our "new car fund." How exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment