About Me

My photo
I have two kids - a girl and a boy - and live in north-central Minnesota, land of snow and ice. Well, for 9 months of the year, that is. I work full-time for a local government, and on my "free time" I enjoy cooking, baking, hanging out with my kiddos, and RELAXING.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Mandatory Overtime

Today marks the beginning of a new pay period at work, and with it the beginning of mandatory overtime.

Joy.

I knew I was going to have to work it, I just didn't know it would be so soon. Apparently, neither did anyone else. My crew boss told me that this is the earliest overtime has started.

That didn't cheer me up at all.

I am asked to work 88 hours every pay period. Probably I'll do my usual four 10-hour days each week, and then work an 8-hour day every other Friday.

I don't get time and a half for overtime. Instead, I get comp time. Which means for every hour of overtime I work I get one hour of paid time off. Pretty much like vacation. And I can accrue up to 80 hours of comp time.

I'll probably be thanking heaven for overtime come this fall when I can take two weeks off with no pay and not even touch my paid vacation balance.

Yeah, that will be nice.

But until then, if you don't hear from me for a while, you'll know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment