About Me

My photo
I have two kids - a girl and a boy - and live in north-central Minnesota, land of snow and ice. Well, for 9 months of the year, that is. I work full-time for a local government, and on my "free time" I enjoy cooking, baking, hanging out with my kiddos, and RELAXING.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Oh yum!

Last night I made the most delicious dinner in the history of the world. I wish I had taken pictures of it for you...but as it is, you will just have to image it. WARNING: Do not read this recipe if you don't like black beans. There is no way you will ever appreciate it.


Note: This picture is from eatbetteramerica.com. My foldover did not look so attractive, but my oh my was it ever yummy.

I got the original recipe for Santa Fe Foldover from Eat Better America, but I made a couple changes, including ditching everything that said "low-fat," "no salt added," and "healthy."


ALAINA'S IMPROVED SANTA FE FOLDOVER

Pan-fry 1-2 cut-up chicken breasts with seasoning (whatever you prefer; I used Famous Dave's spicy chicken, or some such thing) until ALMOST done. You will be cooking them more in the oven and we don't want them to get dried out! And might I add I figured out this whole chicken ordeal by myself. The recipe does not call for chicken, but I thought it would jazz it up a bit. Plus, my carnivorous husband would complain if I served him a meal of beans, lettuce, and cheese.

Mix until a soft dough:
1 cup Bisquick
2 tbs cornmeal (NOT cornstarch, as I accidentally did...turned out okay though)
1/4 cup very hot water

Knead a couple times and roll in Bisquick to coat. Roll out to a 10" circle and place on greased pizza pan. (I used a Pampered Chef stone and didn't grease it--it was fine.)

Mix:
1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 salsa

Spread on dough to within 2" of edges. Sprinkle with onions (the recipe says 2 tbs, I just grabbed a bunch). Put chicken on top of onions. Fold edges up and crimp together (the bean/salsa mix will still be somewhat exposed). Sprinkle with shredded Colby-Jack (recipe says 1/4 cup, I used more).

Bake 25 to 28 minutes on lowest oven rack at 375°F.

Top with lettuce, tomatoes (ick!), and sour cream. Serves 3. (Although the two of us ate the whole thing last night.) I will definitely be making this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment